Friday, February 6, 2009

Ruching

In preparing to sew the top from the Vogue 1020 pattern, I decided that I'd like to have the ruching on both sides instead of just one. Sure, the asymmetry of the original pattern's gathers to one side gives this basic tee shirt a nice twist. However, I got tummy issues that would be emphasized with that. One thought that briefly flitted in my mind was "Will this look dated?"

In my search for examples of ruching on both side seams, I got my question answered when I came across this New York mag article:

Bunch Up: Ruching Takes Over Pre-Fall

1/13/09 at 6:51 PM

Comment

Photo: Courtesy of Burberry

If the pre-fall collections are anything to go by, February's runways will be covered in texture. You'll practically be able to feel the fabric through your computer screen. Ruching — the gathering of fabric with elastic — was so prevalent, we wanted to break out our old prom dresses. Burberry opted for a textured mini with diagonal downward panels, while Donna Karan had asymmetrical creases finished with untied ruffles. Vera Wang's ruching sticks to the center of a black satin dress, and Nicole Miller and Reem Acra scrunch material from the waist up. For more on the trend, click ahead.

See more trends and the best of pre-fall.

I am particularly inspired by this example:



After reading the pattern instructions, then skipping over to Pattern Reviews, I found that there were certain issues with the pattern itself, such as Vogue's weird inclusion of a side zipper. Also, there was mention of using elastic for the ruching, whereas the instructions call for the good ol' two lines of basting and pull technique. I was not comfortable with either, so I called upon my friends and family for input. The technique I am going to try is the zigzag over a string technique. Thanks, Nikkablue and Momi :) And now, off to practice the technique on an old shirt. I refuse to cut into that beautiful matte jersey I got from Gorgeous Fabrics until I am confident with every step of this project.

No comments: